Safer Church Policy
While We Are Virtual
- Online practices will be designed to maintain the same safe church standards as we maintain offline at the Fellowship. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Parental supervision of children online is a critical part of any online activity. We encourage parents to monitor their child’s online activity.
- All Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Midland (UUFoM) sponsored forums will have at least one adult Host and one adult Observer/Co-host in forums with children. This maintains the two adult requirement for children in a classroom, also known as the “rule of three.”
- Background checks are required on all Hosts.
- An adult with convictions in child abuse/neglect or sexual abuse/molestation may not participate in classes with children. Virtual Exception: a parent may be present in the Zoom call that includes their child, but not in an official capacity as a Host or Observer/Co-host.
- An adult caregiver with a CPS investigation or charges pending may not Host or be one of the Observer/Co-hosts, but may be present with their child. This will be communicated directly between the Director of Lifespan Religious Education and the adult.
- Zoom meetings will follow these five rules at minimum:
- Participants may not enter ahead of the Host. A waiting room may be used.
- All chats are posted to everyone. (No private chatting between adults and children).
- Screen sharing will be controlled by the Host.
- Annotation on shared screens will be controlled by the Host.
- Host recordings with child participants should be saved onto a computer, not to the cloud. Recordings should be retained for one week only for review and then removed.
- Facebook forums, Google Classrooms, and other online forums will have varying levels of adult/child participation allowed. The level of screening, confidentiality, and age requirements for participation will be clearly stated. In all private forums, sharing features will be disabled, and copy & pasting pictures of children from our UUFoM forums is not allowed.